Friday 27 March 2015

Making a Horn Spoon, by Bertram

Recently I got some horn. I had wanted four small cow horns to utilise but I ended up with three nice small horns and one huge horn! I did not expect this. As I had such a large horn and not much use for it I decided I would try out making a horn spoon. I've never done it before and am always willing to try new crafts once! So this is what I did:

Step 1

I took the large horn and cut it in half so I was left with two pieces. The top piece (the larger piece) I then cut in half length ways ready for boiling.


Step 2

I placed one half in a cauldron of boiling water over a fire. The heat from the water makes the horn become more flexible and able to be shaped, or in my case flattened out. Once it was hot enough I removed it from the water for flattening.


 Step 3

I put the horn on a flat piece of wood then popped half a log on top of it and applied pressure. This flattened the flexible horn which meant I could then use it for spoon making.


Step 4

Now the horn was flat I could start cutting a spoon shape. I did this using a hack saw and a coping saw to give me the rough shape.


Step 5

Once cut I could use an abrasive material, like sandstone, to smooth the rough edges of the horn and polish it slightly. Once this was done I could then boil it again and shape the bowl of the spoon making a functional and usable utensil!





Bertram's Bio:

Born near Daltune (Dalton-in-Furness) in 1116 Bertram had a hard start to life working the farm lands with his parents and brother Ernolf. In his teenage years he developed a passion for woodwork and enhanced his skills on a pole lathe. Now, when he isn't working the land, he travels the county selling his wares where he can to earn a crust. Making all sorts of wooden objects from bowls to spoons and even toys Bertram has gained a reputation for quality goods in many parts of the county and just about manages to stay afloat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment